Source: Making the Best of Basics
So I tried to make some whole wheat pancakes with the rest of the flour my mother-in-law milled for me. It turned out disasterous. I didn't have quite as much flour left as the recipe called for, so I tried to tweak the other ingredients. Then, I remembered that I didn't have honey, so I tried to substitute brown sugar. And I didn't have buttermilk, so I just used regular milk. Wow! I really screwed this one up! The pancakes were super runny. So Husband tried to fix them by adding Krusteaz pancake mix. The consistency returned to normal and we thought they were fixed--hooray for Husband!--until we tried them. Husband took one bite and spit them out...I took that as my cue NOT to try them. Here's the original recipe. If you try it and it works, let me know. I will probably try again sometime and actually follow the recipe exactly...maybe then they will turn out!
Wholesome Whole Wheat Pancakes
1 c. oats
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 T. honey
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. melted butter (I didn't get mine completely melted...BIG mistake!)
Stir dry ingredients to mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Aging in refrigerator improves flavor. Add 1/4 c. wheat germ to dry ingredients for extra nutrition and flavor. Cook on greased hot griddle until brown.
Good luck! Let me know if your's turns out better than mine!
1 c. oats
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 T. honey
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. melted butter (I didn't get mine completely melted...BIG mistake!)
Stir dry ingredients to mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Aging in refrigerator improves flavor. Add 1/4 c. wheat germ to dry ingredients for extra nutrition and flavor. Cook on greased hot griddle until brown.
Good luck! Let me know if your's turns out better than mine!
4 comments:
Here is a really simple, but good whole wheat pancake recipe. I usually double it. Also, I don't always add the entire amount of milk at once. I'll add about 3/4 of it, and then if it's still too thick, I'll add the rest. Sometimes, I'll do half whole-wheat and half all-purpose flour.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbs granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 Tbs oil
oil for frying
In large bowl, add mix all dry ingredients. In small bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Add wet to dry, careful not to mix too much (batter should be lumpy).
If my batter ends up too runny, I have found that adding just a little flour works well.
Hope this helps. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.
Thanks Robin! I will have to try this recipe some time!
We almost always end up adding some white flour to thicken them up... I may have to try Robin's recipe, too!
Here's a substitute if you don't have buttermilk: put 1 T of vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and then fill with milk. Let curdle for a few minutes and then add to recipe in place of 1 cup buttermilk.
Post a Comment