Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Experiment: Apple Pie


This experiment was a FAILURE! But hey, that's okay. That's why they are call experiments, right? Well, I've made this Apple Pie several times before and it is usually a huge hit, but this one sat in my refrigerator for over a week until my dear husband took pity on the fridge and threw it in the garbage. What was the difference you ask? I tried using dehydrated apples that I rehydrated. When we bought our apple slices from the LDS Church Cannery (for a good, non-official explanation of what this is click here. Also, check out providentliving.org), the lady there mentioned how they made a great apple pie. I had never considered rehydrating the apples, I just snacked on them dry. So this is the first time I tried rehydrating them. I started with just a cup of apples and put in the suggested amount of water. Well, it just seemed like there was way too much water. So when I made the pie, I did the amount of water in half. Well, the apples didn't like that, and they soaked all the moisture out of the pie crust. It was one dry, crumbly pie. So, my question for all of you is, have you ever rehydrated dried apples? Any tips? I guess I'll have to experiment with this one a little more....

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I hadn't thought of trying to rehydrate them. I love eating them dry... yum! It's a good idea though, you'll have to let me know if you get it figured out!