Saturday, April 11, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Bread



This was my first attempt at whole wheat bread, and I do have to say it turned out quite yummy! I whipped up some honey butter (1/2 c. honey + 1/2 c. butter) to go with it and it was delicious.

Click here to see the original post for this recipe.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

3 cups really warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast (or 2 yeast packets)
Dissolve and wait until yeast froths then add:
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. honey
1 Tbsp. salt
about 6 cups of whole wheat flour

I ended up added about 7 or 8 cups of flour, and it was still quite sticky. So I put a lot of regular white flour on the counter to knead the dough. Knead and then put in a large bowl (I sprayed my bowl with non-stick spray). Let rise until about double in size (about an hour in a warm location). Punch dough and take out of bowl. Knead on floured surface again. Divide dough into two loaves and put in sprayed and floured bread pans. Let rise again until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Brush top with butter and put back in oven for two minutes. Remove from oven, let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and let loaves finish cooling.

Tip: Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on.

Tip: (I got this from Betty Crocker's Cookbook) For a shiny crust: top bread with egg beaten with a little water (for added touch, sprinkle with poppy, sesame, caraway seeds or rolled oats); for a softer, deep golden crust brush with butter; for a crisp crust brush lightly with water; for a soft, tender crust brush with milk.

No comments: