I have tried several different recipes for funeral potatoes, but have never found the one that was just like I had growing up. But this Easter, my mom asked me to make a pan of them for our dinner, so I took the opportunity to get the recipe she uses from her... now I've finally found the funeral potatoes that are "just like I remember". Now, I'm sure just like me, you have your favorite version of funeral potatoes (if you've ever had them...), but if you are looking for a good recipe, give this one a shot. Oh, sorry, no picture...
p.s. You may wonder why they are called funeral potatoes. In the LDS Church, there is somewhat of a tradition of providing a lunch after a funeral for the family of the deceased. This cheesy potato casserole usually makes an appearance there.
Source: my mom's ward cookbook from 35 years ago
1.5 pkgs southern-style hashbrowns
1 can cream of chicken
2 c. sour cream (1 lb container)
1.5 cups shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tsp. onion flakes
1/2 c. milk, optional
cornflakes, crushed
Put the hashbrowns in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5-10 minutes until hashbrowns are heated through. In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken, sour cream, and cheese. Add milk if you want it thinned down a little. When hashbrowns are heated through, season with salt & pepper and onion flakes. Mix potatoes in with cheese mixture. Spread into a 9x13 pan. Top with crushed cornflakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Can you tell I'm making my way through your posts? :) Fun blog! And I love your profile pic, you look awesome! And, nice kitchen! Someday... :)
I love funeral potatoes. Last time we made them we were out of sour cream though, so my sister just made them with milk. That's all--and it worked! Andy hates sour cream, so he was gloating over it (I was sure it wouldn't turn out). It was just a bit more soupy. Of course, if you compared them side by side I'm sure the richness wouldn't compare, but it was a good emergency substitution.
I think that's the same recipe we use (I may use more cheese) and it is truly the best! Mmmmmm
Post a Comment