Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Experiment: Southwestern Pasta over Rice

I was on my way home today around 4:30pm and realized I needed to have dinner ready within 30 minutes (so we could eat before heading out for the evening). Since I hadn't even thought about what we should have, I started brainstorming what I had on hand, and this is what I came up with:


Southwestern Pasta over Rice

1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can cream of chicken soup + a half can of milk
1/2 pkg. extra-wide egg noodles
1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
Minute rice

After boiling and draining the pasta, in the same pot add the rest of the ingredients except the rice. Heat over medium until heated through. Serve over rice.

The verdict: It was okay. Definitely had to add some salt and pepper at the table. Yet, it still lacked some flavor. It made plenty, so with the leftovers tomorrow I think I will try to add some salsa and see how it goes. A definite pro is that it can be made from entirely from food storage items.

* Update: I stirred in a little salsa to the leftovers and {viola!} flavor! Not much is needed at all--I would estimate maybe 1/2 cup for the entire dish. I also thought about maybe adding sour cream for a little tang instead of the salsa, or spices such as cummin... I will definitely have to experiment more with this one. Leave me a comment with any suggestions or if you try something that works!

No comments: